Saturday, June 5, 2010

Global Race for the Cure

Every year, I thank God just a little bit more that my Mom is still with us. Fifteen years ago, she was diagnosed with Stage 3 (almost 4) breast cancer and was given a 50/50 chance of living 5 years. I am not going to say that I am the best at being thankful for her all the time, but I can honestly say that every time I see her with the boys, I say a prayer of thanks for her, the time she has with my kids and the relationship that she has with them.

We participate in the Race for the Cure every year in Washington D.C. It is a complete emotional roller coaster for me to do this with my Mom and to see all the pink survivor shirts that are walking with me. I guess because I know that as many survivors there are out there, there are also those who are no longer with us and that is a hard pill to swallow.

This year was so special. Not only because it was celebrating 15 years that my Mom has made it, but also because she had those of us that have been with her through this journey to walk in the race with her. My Aunt, My brother, Sarah and Morgan, Kate, Matt, Mason and Logan and all of us. What a wonderful day it was.

YAY MOM!

Mason, Caleb, Mom, Austin and Morgan.

The entire group...back: Jason, Sarah, Jeff, Austin, A. Sue, Logan, Matt. Front: Kate, Morgan, Mom, Mason, Caleb and Sherri

The Barnwell's
Matt, Kate and Logan
Jeff, Mom and I.
Kate and I, and the boys!
Kate and I
Just before the finish line.

2 comments:

  1. YAY!! So happy we were able to be there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like such a great time. What a wonderful way to celebrate your mom!

    ReplyDelete