"Family isn't who you're born to; it's who is there when you need them and calms you down when you are losing your mind. They start as friends and end up being family."
Amazing how much truth is in that quote!
We had the unique and amazing opportunity to spend some time with those people that I call family. My best friend Kate lost her grandfather many months ago. He was a Colonel in the Air Force and was scheduled to be buried at Arlington National Cemetery on January 31st. So Kate and her family (Momma D, Dad D, brother and sister-in-law and cousins and aunts and uncles) came out to DC to pay their last respects to their beloved father, grandfather and great grandfather.
Kate, Matt, Mason and Logan were able to stay with us which was so much fun. The boys get along like long lost best friends and of course the time that Jason and I have with Kate and Matt is always priceless! We were even able to go out to eat one night (Thanks to Mom and A. Sue who had all four boys!)
Anyway, Thursday morning we all loaded into the cars and headed to Arlington National Cemetery. It has always been one of my favorite places in Washington D.C. I don't know if I can explain it, the comfort that I feel when I am there is pretty amazing. We all met up at the Administration building and then headed to meet up with the horse drawn Caisson.
Kate and her family walked behind the Caisson while the boys rode with me in the car and followed. The service was beautiful and so respectful. I don't know that I can even say how amazing it was. The kids were excellent and we were all able to celebrate together. I can't express my appreciation enough for allowing us to be a part of such an honorable occasion and such an amazing family! We are very blessed!
 |
| Caleb, Mason, Austin and Logan. They are all almost exactly one year apart! |
 |
| The transfer of Grandpa Joyners ashes to the Caisson. |
 |
| More of the transfer... |
 |
| Kate's family as they get ready to follow the Caisson. |
 |
| Heading up the hill on the Caisson. |
 |
| Handing over the flag to Momma Deicke. |
 |
| Adding red roses to the ashes. |
 |
| Carl, Kristen, Dad Deicke, Mom Deicke, Kate, Logan Matt and Mason in front. |
 |
| Kate, Mason, Matt and Logan with their Grandfather's flag. |
No comments:
Post a Comment